Monday 7 November 2016

Ness Point, Lowestoft.

After a stormy night with a low slipping down the East side of the North Sea from Siberia a visit was inevitable. On arrival the local guys in position and birds flying North was information they gave.
 
It was not long before bird began to appear with flocks of BRENT GEESE flying North. Some of these where mixed with CORMORANT and WIGEON. A single flock of WIGEON came through with TEAL interwoven within. GANNETS flying well out but also some between Ness and Yellow Continental Buoys. COMMON GUILIMOT on the water and some flying through. I would think in the time I was there it must be in excess to 20 birds. I also had two SHELLDUCK and on one occasion three KITTYWAKE flew North. Beside these birds singles flying the same. Three MED GULLS flew close by as did five GREENFINCH. But the surprise of the day was a SPARROWHAWK that flew in from the sea. I have never seen one hunting offshore, where as I have seen hobby, peregrine, kestrel do this. Leaving the best to last is the great sight of flocks of EIDER flying North close in. Most of these being males in really good plumage. In my terms all the flocks must come out at over 34 birds.

RED LEGGED PARTRIDGE still in garden but he managed to scare the living day light out of me when I went out the back door and he was the other side. But he also came down on the lawn to feed when I was sitting out in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment