Saturday 13 May 2017

Oulton Marsh.

Not so bright today but some warmth. I was asked to support Ivan in taking round a group from SWT which proved interesting all round.

We managed 44 species for the 3 hours from 10 am. Best bird being a pair of Bearded Tit on the top corner pool. Also plenty of REED WARBLER and SEDGE about. It was the first time I have watched aggression between these two species. Sedge was well up a stalk when a Read came in on the act and moved it on. REED BUNTING to kept them happy as did COMMON WHITETHROAT. I introduced them to a latest migrant as I am sure that there are two Rhea in a meadow, a long way from South America.

I learnt something about botany today as I was introduced to a plant called foxtail. I never new you could learn so much about a weed. Also there is a rare willow on the marsh to and to finish it of a Scarce Emerald Damselfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment