Tuesday 29 November 2016

Oulton Marsh, Oulton Broad,

This was a winters day with frost on the ground and that beautiful blue sky. Just one of those days that will never be forgotten for the following reasons.



St Michaels Church:  I stepped out of the car and immediately had birds to view. A female MARSH HARRIER flew reasonably close as PIED WAGTAIL scampered across the church roof and on my return a GREY WAGTAIL was doing the same. ROBIN, WREN, WOOD PIGEON,

 Along  track to Fisher Row:  CHAFFINCH and BLUE TIT, GREAT TIT, CROW, ROOK, JACKDAW, MAGPIE, and JAY. MOORHEN and BLACKBIRD.

Fisher Row to bend: This walk along the river was alive with the call of four WATER RAIL and two CETTI'S WARBLER still calling well. A GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER was keeping close cover at the corner but the best here was the eleven BEARDED TIT that flew from close to me onto the reed island. I also had a single REED BUNTING here. LITTLE EGERET 2

Viewing Platform:    Here again I had five BEARDED TIT and nine REED BUNTING which were feeding on reed. WIGEON at only two and MUTE SWANS the same. A single KESTREL flew through as did a flock of LAPWING. As I left I heard a whistle and new it was the sound of a OTTER as I scanned the river and the reed I caught sight of it only 30 feet ahead of me, on the path but it was gone in a second. GREY HERON two.

Level Crossing:  Again another pair of STONECHAT and a flock of nine MEADOW PIPIT flew in, a SNIPE was in the air after being put to flight by a ROOK. A single STARLING which was in the reed bed and looked rather ill.

Walk back:  Again another pair of STONECHAT in the sheep pen bring the count to six. A KESTREL flew by and GOLDFINCH as  a small flock as well as CHAFFINCH.



No comments:

Post a Comment