Monday 13 January 2014

Waveney Forest, Fritton

Decided to go and give it a look and see if it was possible to pick up on Parrot Crossbills. The day was bright a birders from the local club where about so it was good to meet and chat. On arrival at the mound, guys had already had good sightings of raptors so that I was able to pick up on ROUGH-LEGGED-BUZZARD and COMMON BUZZARD. There was a very odd Common that was light fronted and dark backed. Some combination this. A rough'y would fly well off, but at least identifiable. Kestrel also in appearance and MARSH TIT and COAL TIT in abundance. After  a while of viewing and no one picking up on any Crossbills. I set of on a long walk round the wood and nearing the end at a group of fallen pines I saw some movement in the top of some conifers. Only some 50 feet away. They where mostly in shade and very actively feeding and flitting. Which in viewing terms is never very good. However I set up and watched and with seconds had COMMON CROSSBILL both male and female. Then to my surprise I had a male bird sit preening itself out in the sun through the scope. Sure enough it was a PARROT CROSSBILL. Managed to get all the id features through the scope including the bill. the bulk the head and the cheeks. I went for the camera and pressed the shutter just as it moved back. So my picture is absolutely naff. I also managed a female bird as it flew down. It was unmistakable with other crossbills around and to say I am amazed at how much bigger they are. Spun the info out and called on other guys one of which had a picture of a female that he had managed 30 minuets before. Watched them of and on for 30 minuets. So this was a good day.
Other stuff about was a TREECREEPER, COAL TIT, GOLDCREST, SISKIN,
 
You can just see his back.


No comments:

Post a Comment