Tuesday 30 April 2013

Ditchingham Covert and Carlton Marsh

 Went to Ditchingham, All Hallows for a retreat day. Spent an hour in the covert.

SPARROW HAWK put on a display of ariel proportions as did a MISTLE THRUSH who had obviously got a  nest in a conifer in the grounds. Several CHAFFINCH about and a few SWALLOW flying through. There where 3 BLACKCAP and 4 WHITETHROAT calling well as also was a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER. I suppose the best viewed bird however was the BULLFINCH a pair of birds in hedge adjacent to the covert. 




A late evening walk from Marsh Lane out onto Carlton Marsh at Spratt's Water. Bright but still cold.

The walk was set up to give me my first GRASSHOPPER WARBLER of the year. It soon done this and I was rewarded with three birds in all. I also had a HOBBY go to roost and a single WHITETHROAT which popped up near and handy. There where others about but this one will do fine. SEDGE WARBLER and REED BUNTING as well as GOLDFINCH and a flock of 20 LINNET from roost. A single BARN OWL was quartering low ground and the call of a LITTLE OWL near to copse opposite Spratt's House. The bird of most interest was seen hunting along reed covered dykes at dusk. Although the bird landed less than 20 feet away it was so difficult to see. But it's call gave it away when I saw it fly off towards the centre. It was a brown MERLIN, a female.

I also had a very large all black bee in the garden gathering nectar from flowers. It did not stay long enough for pic's but it was defiantly a first for me in the sound of a. VIOLET CARPENTERS BEE. evidently In the last few years they have found there way over her so a good record for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment