Thursday 21 February 2013

Walberswick Reed Bed, Suffolk.

Well this again is literally a new mile stone for since my illness. Its the first time back here and a walk that at times I never thought I would do again. But then who can tell what's possible. Not getting any younger but old dog is not out of it yet. I don't know how many miles it is round there but it took it's toll in the mud and the mess. The birding was not out of this world, but still good.

COMMON BUZZARD: Three birds seen in all and an obvious pair. One of which was very tatty. Looked a bit like me. MARSH HARRIER: Tw birds, on over coastal strip a female and the other well up the other end again a female.
REED BUNTING and three female BULLFINCH along reed track. With GOLDCREST there and also at end of walk near cottages. On entering the wood on the way out a flock of SISKIN ( See  below) about 20 birds in all. Did not see nor here them, but did hear the sound of seed husks falling around me. I also put up a CHINESE WATER DEER here before coming out into the first clearing with GREAT SPOTTED WOOD. I saw in total 3 BEARDED REEDLING in 3 separate sites. Two flocks of GREY LAG flew over the reed bed. Which for me was not good for the time of year. CURLEW: Again three birds seen and all on fields, or leaving them because of disturbance. On the road to the Lodge a flock of around 30 REDWING in the wood to the south and LAPWING to the north. There was also 5 GOLDFINCH in hedge along here.  It was obvious that BLACKBIRDS are on the move with several groups getting ready to make the move back to the continent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment