Tuesday 19 February 2013

Hevingham Hall, Suffolk.

Spent a few hours with Waveney Bird Club emptying nest boxes for the new year. I paid for it latter but could not resist the meal provided by the chef. The beef was out of this world and you could tell it wasn't horse.
Best bird of the day was a pair of NUTHATCH which where calling. I managed to pick them up and several of the group where able to view. The other thrill was the amount of WOODCOCK we put to flight. I personally put up 12. It was estimated that on the day we must have raised 50 plus birds. MARSH TIT in good numbers to. Plus GREEN WOODPECKER and GREAT SPOTTED WOOD as well. We also had two BARN OWLS in different areas which again was encouraging.

I must have emptied 30 plus boxes and in the last place we visited (Sibton Hall) I managed to disturb a pair of HARVEST MICE. They new how to fly I can tell you. On e box nearby was full to the brim with seeds from sycamore, some stash for such small creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment