Thursday 7 February 2013

Cove Bottom, Suffolk.

I had heard that a male HEN HARRIER was coming in here at evening via twitter so gave it a look and sure enough at 4:30pm the bird obliged. I first picked it up as it was either trying to gain a last meal or looking for somewhere to drop down for the night. I picked it up twice as it quartered the reed bed. What an amazing bird even at a distance it was just wonderful to view.

LITTLE OWL: These are becoming of recent years scarce to say the least so I was pleased to pick some up in a nearby meadow on the way home. Both birds, I assume a pair this time of the year where getting ready to feed alongside adjacent hedges.
BUZZARD: Just one bird flew over as I was driving along the Southwold road. It was obviously flying in to roost. I had been standing for about 10 minuets when a flock of WOOD PIGEON flew in my direction from roost. They where then followed again by the common buzzard which flew due east circled and then headed south.
MARSH HARRIER: Two female about and a single male bird. The female had some attitude and managed to dislodge the male from roast. She harried him until he flew off over the reed bed.
LINNET: A flock of 30 birds continued to flutter round until eventually finding somewhere to roost up for the night.
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER and GREEN WOOD heard but not seen.
LAPWING: Large flock in fields some 500 birds in all.
FIELDFARE: Several birds flying before sunset as well as a single MISTLE THRUSH.

Little Owl
 
Name that bird?

No comments:

Post a Comment