Tuesday 6 November 2012

Kessingland to Benacre

This is my longest walk for a very long time. Rather shattered but pleased.

Several flocks of STARLING of the sea in all ten flocks ranging from eight birds to 40 + one group was followed in by three very tired BLACKBIRDS which just dropped down on landing in gorse at Benacre Pitt's. The only other flock was really large one of COMMON SCOTER flying north, I should think there was 50+ birds followed on the tail by a group of duck about 12 birds. I would think they where mallard. I also met up with an adult MED GULL which flew through on foreshore.  I also had a small flock of GREENFINCH and a flock of 25 CHAFFINCH. A few linnets flew by calling and 3 PIED WAG. At Benacre  a pair of SCAUP and 3 PINTAIL. GADWALL and a large flock of feral GREY LAG.
Surprise of the day was no bird but a fish which to my understanding I was left in no doubt about as I have seen them many years ago at Southend. Mind you this was a big job and was just under 3 feet long./ I saw it actually leap out of the water and tail end. I recon it was put up by a bass as it was running along the wave line. This gives you an idea that it was no more than 50 feet away. It was in fact a GARFISH. Rather out of season but who can say.?

No comments:

Post a Comment